Roasted Tomato Butter
Delicious Roasted Tomato Flavor —
Savory and sweet are the yin and yang of flavor profiles. One isn’t necessarily better than the other, it’s just a matter of personal preference. After writing my first “Gotta Go” Post about the opening of Meshuhggah Bagels in Kansas City, (you really do have to go), I brought home some bagels that inspired me to create a couple of schmears of my own.
A schmear is bagel speak for the spread that goes on top. Plain ol’ cream cheese is probably what comes to mind, but I wanted to take things up a notch. First, I created a slightly sweet fresh strawberry butter (get the recipe) – a nice option for a morning bagel, especially when strawberries are in season. Next, I set out to create a savory counterpart that became this delicious roasted tomato butter.
Oven Roasted Tomatoes
The key ingredient is the oven roasted tomatoes, paired with garlic and thyme and blended with butter and cream cheese. The result is an intensely flavored tomato spread complimented with parmesan. It makes a great schmear on bagels eaten for lunch or dinner, especially when paired with a simple soup or salad. But this goes beyond just bagels; since I made it, my family has topped burgers, grilled vegetables, and I used the last of it as a quick pasta sauce. Melt it on top of drained, cooked pasta, and thin with a little pasta water. Add turkey Italian sausage and top with parmesan cheese to create a quick and easy gourmet pasta meal.
Watch The Kitchen Minute Video
Learn How to Roast Tomatoes: Watch my “kitchen minute” video embedded below for tips, tricks and techniques to improve your kitchen confidence. Anybody can do this! Oven roasting tomatoes is a great way to use up tomatoes past their prime and reduce kitchen waste. You might also like my recipe for roasted tomato bruschetta salad with roasted tomato vinaigrette.
PREP TIME: Minutes
- ½ cup oven roasted tomatoes (see video) Can substitute sundried tomatoes - pat dry to remove excess oil.
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened (can use reduced fat)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tsp. dried thyme or oregano
- 4 Tbs. grated parmesan cheese
- Place tomatoes and any juices in a food processor and process until smooth 2 to 3 minutes; scrape down the sides of the bowl - add garlic and process for another minute.
- Add butter, cream cheese,
saltand pepper; process again until blended, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the thyme and parmesan cheese - pulse to combine.
- Scrape into a small bowl and cover - refrigerate for 2 hours to allow flavors to combine. Store up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator. Can be frozen for up to a month. Thaw in the refrigerator before using.
Meals Are Always Best When Shared
Let’s share our culinary journey together – tag me on Instagram @seasonalmuse and share what inspires you, because that’s what inspires me! Bon Appétit!
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use photos without obtaining prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe using your own unique description and link back to Roasted Tomato Butter on the Seasonal Muse for attribution Thank you!